Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Getting in Touch with My Inner Salieri

A friend and student of mine, who is herself a cloistered Carmelite sister kindly shared with me some of her thoughts on St. Therese (and the rough sketch of a pattern for her icon.)  I based the pattern I drew on her own completed icon of St.Therese, which she has graciously given me permission to shamelessly copy.  Besides saying that the drawing bore a passible resemblence to the actual Carmelite habit, and the gentle but firm suggestion that I lose the flowers in the background, she also shared some great insights into Therese herself.  

She sharted that she thinks the key ot understanding St. Therese is that she is the Mozart of the spiritual life - simple, direct, profound, but in the end, elusive.  And she noted that while Therese has grown on her, that as the oldest in her family, she found Therese, who was the youngest in the Martin family, less than sympathetic.  But she also wrote that as she has matured in the spiritual life, St.Therese has directed her to what is most essential, which is to rely, unreservedly, on the love and mercy of God.  

So thanks, Sister, for opening the door of my heart (if only just a bit more) to this elusive genius of the spiritual life.  



1 comment:

  1. I guess another way Therese is like Mozart is that her "music" is, well, simply, divinely inspired, a direct channel to the heart of the Gospel. As a Salieri myself, I have learned that the only way forward with the likes of Therese is to acknowledge her God given genius and gratefully surrender to her influence. God gave the gift to her, He knows why, and the best I can do is aspire to play the tune He created through her, once I am convinced that my own tunes are pretty discordant with the loving mercy of God.

    ReplyDelete